Nearly 80% of the people you hire will fail or be average at best. So, how can you grow your business if only 1 out of 5 are successful?
In a recent study by Harvard Business Review, they discovered that only “19% of new hires are considered highly successful.”
Not only did they do the job they were hired to do, but they exceeded expectations. That’s an A Player.
The study also found that after 18 months, 46% of new hires are deemed failures. The other 35% are average. Basically put, most of the people you hire will “fail” or be average at best.
So how can you grow your business if only ONE out of every FIVE people you hire will be successful?
The short answer is; you can’t.
Most businesses don’t have a system for attracting and hiring top talent and often make one or ALL of these dangerous hiring mistakes.
1. They hire generalists over specialists to stretch their dollar, but research shows the specialist will outperform the generalist every time.
2. They fail to hire people who share their vision and passion for what they do.
3. They spend their time with the wrong people because the needs of the position are poorly defined.
4. They create an impossible list of job description duties that repels the best people while attracting the worst.
5. They ask questions without knowing what they are looking for. This blunder gives control to the candidate and allows them to say what they want “you” to hear.
Here’s an easy way to attract and hire only the best people. It’s so simple, you won’t believe your ability to do this.
Here’s how it works…
1. Create a job scorecard, which is like a blueprint for the position that defines the job in practical terms and gives the hiring manager a target of the ideal candidate.
2. Write job propositions that attract A Players and repel C players. Let job prospects know how your opportunity will allow them to grow and be challenged in the role while being surrounded by like-minded people.
3. Understand how to identify predictive success traits, like passion, leadership, resourcefulness, and humility, because doing so will allow you to hire people who are aligned with your culture.
4. Be consistent in your interviews by asking everyone the same exact questions and score their responses equally. Ask questions that have the ability to predict whether a candidate is more or less-likely to be successful in the role.
5. Research has proven the most accurate method of assessing a candidate’s ability is to put them in a real world simulation before offering them the job.
Don Georgevich is a strategic hiring consultant at Job Interview Tools, LLC
Fight the temptation to half-ass your hiring, and instead create a consistent interviewing process that you follow diligently, without compromise.
These simple strategies work like crazy.
A small software company hired a top developer away from Google and their business soared.
A magazine publisher attracted the right sales manager who tripled their revenue in two years.
Part of why this works so well is because you are attracting candidates who are passionate about what you do.
Essentially, they share your vision and want to join your opportunity so they can make meaningful contributions to what you are doing and where you're going.
Nobody wants a job, they want a career lifestyle where they can learn, grow and have fun. Give them one and they’ll give you the best hours of their day, for years to come.
If you're a business owner, entrepreneur, or hiring manager, you know that your business depends on your ability to hire the right people.
There’s much more to share about how to attract and hire top talent. See below how you can get a copy the Seven Master Steps to Hiring A Players.
Just go to the SimpleHiringSystem.com, text your email address to: 440-655-1725 or click the picture of the book.
Inside, I’ll walk you through the each of the seven steps and show you exactly how to create a vision for your position, attract the best people to your opportunity, conduct effective interviews and make an informed hiring decision. Plus, I’ll show you how to create your own candidate pipeline system that will save you thousands of dollars in recruiter fees.